A Trusted Guide at Medical Appointments
Do you know a senior adult who would feel more comfortable going to the doctor if there were someone they trusted to accompany them?
Patient Navigators are trained volunteers who accompany senior adults to their medical appointments. Patient Navigators help seniors and their families get the information and care they need while reducing the stress often associated with medical appointments. Our Patient Navigators are especially helpful when seniors' family members live far away, may not be available, or the seniors do not have a support network within their community.
JFS Patient Navigators:
- Talk with the senior adult before appointments to review their concerns, medications and questions
- Accompany seniors to doctors’ visits and medical procedures
- Help facilitate doctor/patient communication
- After every medical appointment, review the doctor's instructions and help schedule follow-up visits
- Compile a complete written record of what happened at the doctor's appointment to keep and share with family or caregivers when applicable
JFS Patient Navigators are caring volunteers whose training includes:
- Common health issues among senior adults, with an emphasis on chronic medical conditions
- Essential information about Medicare
- Listening and communicating with medical personnel
- Stress reduction techniques and applications for seniors
- Patient Advocacy
- Confidentiality and Ethics
If you, or someone you know, could benefit from Patient Navigator services, or would like to become a Patient Navigator, please call 508-875-3100 or fill out the form or write to us: PatientNav@jfsmw.org.
Patient Navigators is part of JFS Healthy Aging and funded by CJP to address the needs of Jewish senior adults.